The Big Con
Did you ever have a parent tell you, “Nothing good happens after midnight”? In the Pennsylvania General Assembly, nothing good happens after 11 p.m.
In July 2022, under the cover of darkness and with no public notice, extremist state legislators undermined our rights in a partisan power grab by passing a bill that would drastically change our state constitution. It proposed five constitutional amendments that would undermine our democracy and threaten the fundamental rights of every Pennsylvanian.
This raid on Pennsylvanians’ civil rights and liberties is an attempt to sneak five amendments into our state constitution that would:
- End the state constitutional right to abortion.
- Undermine the balance of power by allowing the legislature to overturn any executive branch regulation by a simple majority vote.
- Mandate a restrictive requirement that all voters, at all elections, show unexpired, government-issued identification.
- Shift authority to oversee election audits from county election offices to the auditor general, who has no expertise in elections.
- Abolish the election of the lieutenant governor, replacing it with a party-appointed system.
These proposed amendments are a disaster for everyday Pennsylvanians and the balance of power in Harrisburg.