ACLU-PA Position: Opposes
SB 106 proposes five separate amendments to the Pennsylvania Constitution that would:
- Deny the right to abortion care and abortion funding in Pennsylvania, without exception.
- Allow the legislature to reject executive-level regulations by a simple majority.
- Change the process for determining the Lieutenant Governor from elected to party-selected.
- Require voters to present “valid identification” prior to voting, regardless of the voting method.
- Shift responsibility and oversight of election audits from counties to the Auditor General.
As a proposed constitutional amendment, SB 106 will need to pass both chambers again during the 2023-2024 legislative session. The earliest these amendments could be on the ballot would be the May 2023 primary election.