The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania (ACLU-PA) is seeking a full-time Multimedia Communications Associate to work in its Philadelphia office. The ACLU-PA is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest organization, dedicated to defending and enhancing personal freedoms protected by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, through litigation, legislative advocacy, organizing, and community education. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of attorneys, public policy and legislative advocates, communications experts, community organizers, administrators, fundraisers, and volunteers. And now is a vital time to join us and make a meaningful, positive, long-term impact on the future of Pennsylvania and the United States.
The Multimedia Communications Associate will report to the Digital Communications Strategist and will be part of an interdisciplinary, cross-departmental team. This is a full-time, salaried position. The Multimedia Communications Associate will be responsible for creating dynamic content to support the ACLU-PA’s work in advocacy, in litigation, and in fundraising. Please note that the ACLU-PA is currently operating under a hybrid work model, in which staff spend a minimum of two days per week working in their local office, while working from home when not in the office.
The Multimedia Communications Associate will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Video – create, shoot, and produce video content, in collaboration with ACLU-PA staff and aligned with the strategic goals of the organization
- Online video platforms - Build ACLU-PA’s presence on online platforms that support video content, including TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram
- Audio - create and produce audio content, in collaboration with ACLU-PA staff and aligned with the strategic goals of the organization. This includes producing ACLU-PA’s podcast Speaking Freely, which is produced 15-18 times per year.
- Photographs – ensure that photographs are taken of important organizational activities and clients; organize and manage ACLU-PA’s photo library
- Graphic design – Create infographics and other visuals for website and other online uses
- Produce online events - manage Zoom and other online technologies for digital events like press briefings, discussion forums, trainings, live social media panel discussions, etc.
- Administrative tasks - handle light administrative tasks related to communications work
- A combination of relevant education and experience, including at least two years of related experience
- Experience in nonprofit, advocacy, or other community-based organizations is valuable
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of and interest in social media trends and the use of social media for issue-based advocacy
- Competency in the use of Adobe Creative Cloud tools, particularly PhotoShop, Illustrator, Premiere, Audition, and InDesign
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly and precisely
- Strong graphic design skills
- Excellent organization and administrative skills: a strong, consistent attention to detail, an organized work style, and the ability to follow through on work assignments with a minimum of direct supervision
- Ability to work on several projects at various stages of completion
- Demonstrated interest in, enthusiasm for, and commitment to the mission and principles of the ACLU
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish is a plus
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The ACLU-PA offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and competitive with public interest salaries. The annual salary for this position is $60,000. Benefits include 11 paid holidays, along with generous vacation and sick leave; individual/family employer-provided health insurance; life insurance and long-term disability; and a defined contribution plan with employer match. Relocation assistance may be available for out-of-state candidates. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, two work samples, and three professional references (please include email, phone, and relationship to you) to email@example.com, and please add “Multimedia Communications Associate” in the email subject line. Please also indicate in your cover letter where you heard of this career opportunity. No phone calls please. All applications are treated confidentially.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled, at which time this announcement will be removed from our website.
The ACLU-PA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-PA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU-PA's hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. ACLU-PA reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU-PA is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest organization, dedicated to defending and enhancing personal freedoms protected by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights through litigation, legislative advocacy, and community education. It is a fast-paced environment that addresses headline-making issues with powerful personal stories and dynamic, precedent-setting solutions. The ACLU-PA has three offices, ten volunteer chapters, over 40,000 members and donors, 38 employees, and a $5.3 million operating budget.
The ACLU-PA comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union (the “Union”) of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation (the “Foundation”) of Pennsylvania. The Union is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, and ACLU membership dues fund its lobbying work. Donations to the Union are not tax-deductible. The ACLU Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Foundation funds support litigation and public education efforts. Donations to the Foundation are tax-deductible. The Multimedia Communications Associate is an employee of the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania.
Both the ACLU of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania have the same overall mission, and share office space, employees, and the same board of directors. The two entities are jointly known by the term “ACLU-Pennsylvania.”